Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I know this sounds like an odd combination, but I've had this recipe for years and it's become a standard at our house. Everyone enjoys it. I got the original recipe from a magazine years ago, perhaps Cooking LIght, but it was such a long time ago that I'm no longer sure. This is my adaptation. It can be on the table in 20 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (I use the Madras, hot curry powder.)
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa or 1 lb smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 -4 cups cooked rice
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder and cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until onion is tender.
- Stir in sausage and broth. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook until everything is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Serve over hot rice.
I questioned the outcome of this recipe all the way through! But in the end it was delicious and that's what matters! I used TURKEY kielbasa and served the dish over santa fe rice. We topped it with mozzarella cheese and a few shakes of Cholula hot sauce. Just a big, hearty pile of 'curried YUMMINESS' ! Thanks for helping with dinner tonight, windhorse23!
I can't believe how quick this was. VERY tasty and foolproof. We didn't even eat it with anything, just as is and it was so satisfying. I added a bit of cayenne pepper and a 1/2 teaspoon extra curry powder. I also only had one can of black beans. Perfect amount for a full meal for 2. Thanks so much- this is going to be a regular.
You can’t really mess up this recipe. I browned my kielbasa first. Didn’t have onion (how could that be!), so I used shallots instead. I added one can of black beans and ¾ cup of chicken broth for a saucier consistency and severed over basmati rice. Thanks for a quick and easy recipe that really satisfies.