Recipe by dicentra
This comes from 125 Meatless Main Dishes. Posting for ZWT3. They say to serve this with rye crackers and Jarlsberg cheese. This would be a nice lunch or summertime dinner.
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 8 large red leaf lettuce
- 4 lime wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil along with the salt and pepper. Stir in the bulgur and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand an additional 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the red onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for several minutes over a medium heat, stirring often.
- Add the tomato and stir until almost all of the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the spices become aromatic.
- Add the garbanzo beans and ½ cup water. Cover and simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until a thick sauce develops, about 15 minutes.
- Combine with the cooked bulgur, then stir in the green onions, parsley, cilantro and lime juice.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- To serve, place 2 lettuce leaves on each serving plate and mound the salad on top. Garnish with lime wedges.