Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This comes from 125 Meatless Main Dishes. Posting for ZWT3. They say to serve this with rye crackers and Jarlsberg cheese. This would be a nice lunch or summertime dinner.
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 8 large red leaf lettuce
- 4 lime wedges
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil along with the salt and pepper. Stir in the bulgur and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand an additional 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the red onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for several minutes over a medium heat, stirring often.
- Add the tomato and stir until almost all of the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the spices become aromatic.
- Add the garbanzo beans and ½ cup water. Cover and simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until a thick sauce develops, about 15 minutes.
- Combine with the cooked bulgur, then stir in the green onions, parsley, cilantro and lime juice.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- To serve, place 2 lettuce leaves on each serving plate and mound the salad on top. Garnish with lime wedges.