Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad always gets finished at Potlucks. I generally like it with more grapes, mandarin slices and curry powder but adjust to your own taste.
- 1 head red leaf lettuce or 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, sections
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 avocado
- Tear lettuce and spinach into bite size pieces.
- Cut grapes in half.
- Drain orange segments.
- Mince garlic.
- Peel, seed and slice avocado.
- In salad bowl combine lettuce, spinach, orange segments and grapes.
- In screw top jar combine salad oil,vinegar,garlic, brown sugar, chives, curry powder and soysauce.
- Shake dressing until combined.
- Just before serving toss some of the dressing with the salad.
- Garnish with avocado and almonds.
- Pass around the remaining dressing.
Loved this combination. The dressing was great. I did make the whole recipe for the dressing, but just made enough salad ingredients for two and drizzled some of the dressing over that, now I have plenty of dressing to keep using several more times. Raisins are good with it also instead of grapes.
I intended to make this salad today. I made the dressing first, then decided to use it tossed into a quinoa salad with garbanzo beans, shredded carrots, celery, cashews, and red onion instead with some extra lemon juice added for a little more zing. It was very good! I would not have thought to use curry powder in salad dressing, but I will make this dressing, and probably the entire recipe, again. Thanks.