Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely fresh tasting soup.
- 1 large onion
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 butter lettuce, washed and chopped
- 300 g shelled fresh peas or 300 g shelled frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon medium-hot curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 liters strong chicken stock
- 4 slices soft fresh white bread, crusts removed and diced
- sea salt
- Slice the onion into fine rounds and cook in half the butter in the saucepan until softened and a pale gold.
- Add lettuce to the onion in the pan, allow to soften for 8 minutes, add curry powder and stir well.
- Pour in stock and salt lightly.
- Bring to the boil and cook briskly for 5 minutes.
- Add parsley and peas.
- Do not cover the pan while cooking, this will preserve the rich green of the peas.
- While the vegetables are cooking.
- Sauté bread with remaining butter in a frying pan, stirring well, until they are golden.
- Drain and keep hot.
- Blend cooked peas until creamy.
- Strain the pureed soup through a fine sieve.
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan and reheat.
- Add 5 tablespoons of cream as it comes to the boil.
- Check seasoning and serve in piping hot plates and sprinkle each serving with crisp croutons.