Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe comes from the famous Hon's Wun-Tun House in Vancouver, B.C. The recipe is a favorite with many. This is a lengthy recipe to prepare, but is worth it.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1⁄2 cup curry paste, Chinese-style
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cooking pot, add flank steak, cover with water and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and allow steak to soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove beef from pot and rinse under cold water for 20 minutes.
- Cut cooled beef flank into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Using the same cooking pot, add ginger, garlic, and beef cubes and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add enough water to cover the meat with 2 inches of water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add curry paste, sugar and salt, and continue to simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato, cover pot and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, cover and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice or noodles.