Recipe by WiGal
This came from a KENYA AND TANZANIA web site and is specifically Swahili. They suggest using red snapper. I wonder if catsup could be subbed for the tomato puree? Serve with rice. Posted for ZWT4.
Top Review by JustJanS
Russ cooked this for our dinner tonight. It seemed to me (watching) to be a simple recipe and was very yummy to eat! He used half a 440g can of tomatoes, three teaspoons of curry powder and tomato paste rather than puree. We catch and eat a lot of fish and I have to say I really enjoyed this one. Aussies, we used leatherjacket fillets and as Russ had cut them to bite-sized, he simmered the sauce for about 15 minutes, then slipped the fish in and cooked for about 3 more minutes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lb fish, filleted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onions in vegetable oil until brown.
- Add garlic and curry powder.
- Stirring vigorously, cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, fresh coriander; cook for another minute.
- Add fish, lemon juice, salt, and water.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.