Recipe by Bergy
This is a traditional Danish Smorgasbord dish. It is very versatile I sometimes put a layer of steamed spinach in a casserole, leave out the toast,put boiled eggs onto the spinach, pour in the sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes
Top Review by Gerry sans Sanddunes
Bergy, thank you. This one is a "keeper". I piled spinach onto the toast, covered the spinach with choppped hard-boiled eggs, then poured on the sauce. Tasty! (I'm also looking foreward to pampering myself with Rital's adaptation.)
- 8 eggs (poached or hard boiled)
- 8 piece of toasted bread
- 1 carrot, scraped & grated
- 236.59 ml onion, finely minced
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 59.16 ml flour
- 7.39 ml curry powder (or a bit less)
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 2.46 ml fresh lemon juice
- 236.59 ml beef broth (consomme) or 236.59 ml chicken broth (consomme) or 236.59 ml vegetable broth (consomme)
- 295.73 ml milk
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the carrot and onion in the butter for 15 minutes.
- Use low heat you do not want to brown the veggies.
- Add flour and curry.
- Stir and heat to a smooth paste.
- Gradually add all the remaining ingredients starting with the consomme, stirring all the while to prevent any lumps.
- Simmer approx 8 minutes. Keep hot while you are poaching the eggs.
- Poach the eggs (or use hard boiled eggs cut in half lengthwise).
- Place eggs on toast and pour over the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and dust with paprika (optional).