Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick, easy soup to make for lunch. It is a great way to use up leftover eggplant. When adding the curry powder, the quantity given is approximate. There is a huge variation in the spiciness of curry powder. Use an amount that makes the soup taste good to you. If you do not have vegetable stock, any other stock will work.
- 2 cups cubed eggplants
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced potato
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- plain yogurt
- curry powder
- Combine the eggplant, onion, and potato into a small saucepan. Cover with stock.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Blend the soup until smooth. Use an immersion (stick) blender, food processor, blender, or potato masher based on what you have. The color will be a pale pale green with little flecks of purple.
- Add part of the salt and curry powder. Taste. Adjust seasonings to make it taste right for you.
- Serve in bowls. Top with plain (unsweetened) yogurt and a dusting of curry powder. This is good with pita bread and raw veggies on the side.
Great change of pace for eggplant! Took less than 30 minutes from the thought of making to enjoying a cup! I used 1/4 tsp cayenne as well and about 1 1/2 tsp plain curry powder. I do love the flavor so can overlook the color! Thanks for posting!
I had never used eggplant before today. It looked so beautiful in the vigi isle I had to buy it. I added more liquid because the 3 cups did not cover the eggplant. I ended up having to pour half the liquid out so next time I will stick to the recipe. I used Parsley's tip and spiced it up a bit with some cyanne pepper. This was very easy, tasty and satisfying. Mine turned out green... I was expecting purple. It tasted good so guess thats all that matters :) Thanks!
The soup's color is a bit unappetizing, but get by that, and it's got a terrific flavor and texture. I didn't measure my eggplant.... I just used 1 medium and chopped it. I used a hot variety of curry powder; it was a perfect match for the dallop of cool yogurt garnish. I'll make this easy yummy soup again. Thanx!