My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter, clarified
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1Toss the eggplant with the salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- 2Wrap in a towel and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin and chili powder, and cook 2 more minutes.
- 6Add the reserved eggplant, tomatoes and sugar.
- 7Mix the saffron into the vinegar and add to mixture.
- 8Simmer for 15 minutes, until the eggplant is soft.
- 9Add a bit of water if the mixture should become too dry.
- 10Add the peanuts and cool completely.
- 11Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 12Place a sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface and drizzle lightly with clarified butter.
- 13Layer five more sheets, drizzling a bit more butter atop each layer.
- 14Brush the top layer with butter.
- 15Place a quarter of the filling over the sheets, mounding more of it along one of the longer sides.
- 16Roll the sheets up jelly roll-style, starting at the edge with the mounded filling.
- 17Place seam-side down on a greased sheet pan and brush with more clarified butter.
- 18Make three more strudels using the rest of the phyllo and the remaining filling and butter.
- 19On sheet pans, bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, moving the pans front to back and top to bottom halfway through.
- 20Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- 21Cut the strudel in 1-inch-thick slices and top with yogurt.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Eggplant (Aubergine) Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.8
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 598.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 10.1 g