Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Curried Eggplant (Aubergine) Strudel recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter, clarified
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Toss the eggplant with the salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Wrap in a towel and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin and chili powder, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the reserved eggplant, tomatoes and sugar.
- Mix the saffron into the vinegar and add to mixture.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, until the eggplant is soft.
- Add a bit of water if the mixture should become too dry.
- Add the peanuts and cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface and drizzle lightly with clarified butter.
- Layer five more sheets, drizzling a bit more butter atop each layer.
- Brush the top layer with butter.
- Place a quarter of the filling over the sheets, mounding more of it along one of the longer sides.
- Roll the sheets up jelly roll-style, starting at the edge with the mounded filling.
- Place seam-side down on a greased sheet pan and brush with more clarified butter.
- Make three more strudels using the rest of the phyllo and the remaining filling and butter.
- On sheet pans, bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, moving the pans front to back and top to bottom halfway through.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut the strudel in 1-inch-thick slices and top with yogurt.