Recipe by superbuna
These stuffed tomatoes are a tasty and colorful accompaniment to a special pot roast, a simple romaine salad and slices of good homemade herb bread.
Top Review by Miss Annie
Amazing flavor! I was so happy to find such an easy, "exotic" dish. The ingredients were all harmonious, deep, and thouroughly delightbul. I printed a copy for my kitchen cookbook so I could access it easily. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium eggplant
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1⁄2 cup buttered fresh breadcrumb
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut thin slice off top of each tomato and scoop out insides, leaving 1/4" shell.
- Saute onion in butter.
- Add tomato pulp and simmer until pulp is softened.
- Peel eggplant and dice into 1/4" cubes and add to pulp mixture.
- Season with salt, oregano, curry powder,thyme and black pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cook, stirring gently, until eggplant is tender and sauce is thickened.
- Salt tomato cups, fill with hot mixture.
- Place in baking pan or casserole and top with buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and crumbs browned.