Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was developed out of a need to use up eggplant that are going nuts out in my garden. We love Indian food and this was inspired by a spiced eggplant we eat with our favorite curry.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Prick eggplants and roast for 35-40 minutes until colapsed and wrinkled. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan and add onion over medium heat and cook 3-4 minutes. Add next 6 ingredients and saute until onions are soft and mixture is fragrant.
- Pour mixture in food processor and cool slightly. Add yogurt, cilantro and tomato paste and process until smooth.
- Remove the pulp from the roasted eggplant and put into processor and process until smooth. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Process again for 30 seconds. Serve hot, cold or room temp with pita chips.
While one of my guests liked this, no one else cared for it. We all found it dry and pretty tasteless. I'm sorry for the negative review, but I have to be honest. I followed the recipe exactly. I wish I had liked this recipe, I feel so bad.