Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This up-dated egg salad gets its kick from curry powder and caramelized onions. Serve this salad on a bed of summer greens for a fast and flavorful main meal or side salad. This is a Good Housekeeping recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 (5 -6 ounce) bag mixed baby greens
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (I use pecans too)
- Hard cook eggs: Place eggs in 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Heat water, just to boiling, on high; remove from heat. Cover saucepan and let eggs stand 15 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium 1 minute. Add onion and cook about 20 minutes or until very tender and golden-brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper; cook 3 minutes longer, until peas are cooked. Remove skillet from heat.
- When eggs are done, carefully pour off water and cool eggs in same pan in cold water, changing water occasionally, until eggs are easy to handle, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, from lemon, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In large bowl, stir lemon peel and juice with mayonnaise and curry powder.
- Remove shells from hard-cooked eggs. Coarsely chop eggs and place in large bowl.
- To bowl with eggs, add onion mixture, mayonnaise mixture, celery, and parsley; stir gently with rubber spatula to combine. If you like, cover and refrigerate egg salad 1 hour or until chilled.
- To serve, place greens on 4 dinner plates; top with egg salad and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
A great change from ordinary egg salad. I loved the carmelized onions and the toasted nuts. I served this on a bed of baby spinach. Wonderful! Thanx for posting this!
This was a deliciously different egg salad. For the onions, I had frozen caramelized onions in the freezer which were defrosted and then drained well before using. The peas were rinsed and drained well and not cooked. This kept them from being soggy. Having no celery, I used part of a seedless cucumber for the added crunch. This made for *ZWT 4* African Curious About Curry Challenge.
I just loved this! Although I did stray just a little from the directions. I was feeling laazy, so used green onions and didn't cook them. I added the peas frozen to the salad and by the time I ate it, they were thawed. I did scale the recipe back. Ate as part of dinner with sweet potato fries! Thanks Carol! Made for ZWT4.