Recipe by CarolAT
This up-dated egg salad gets its kick from curry powder and caramelized onions. Serve this salad on a bed of summer greens for a fast and flavorful main meal or side salad. This is a Good Housekeeping recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 (5 -6 ounce) bag mixed baby greens
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (I use pecans too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard cook eggs: Place eggs in 3-quart saucepan with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Heat water, just to boiling, on high; remove from heat. Cover saucepan and let eggs stand 15 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium 1 minute. Add onion and cook about 20 minutes or until very tender and golden-brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper; cook 3 minutes longer, until peas are cooked. Remove skillet from heat.
- When eggs are done, carefully pour off water and cool eggs in same pan in cold water, changing water occasionally, until eggs are easy to handle, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, from lemon, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In large bowl, stir lemon peel and juice with mayonnaise and curry powder.
- Remove shells from hard-cooked eggs. Coarsely chop eggs and place in large bowl.
- To bowl with eggs, add onion mixture, mayonnaise mixture, celery, and parsley; stir gently with rubber spatula to combine. If you like, cover and refrigerate egg salad 1 hour or until chilled.
- To serve, place greens on 4 dinner plates; top with egg salad and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.