Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This chutney can be refrigerated for up to 3 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit, chopped (apricots, peaches, apples, prunes)
- 1 lb dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces pitted prunes, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a 4- or 5-quart electric slow cooker, combine all the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 4 to 5 hours, or until the fruits are tender but still retain their shape; do not overcook.
- Let cool, then refrigerate.
- (To speed this up a bit, you can cook the chutney 1 1/2 hours on the low heat setting and then 1 1/2 hours on the high heat setting).
With one exception I did follow your recipe, but I did cut the amount of curry powder back by almost half! For the 1st ingredient listed, I used a mix of dried peaches, pears & Fuji apple chunks, then went on from there & ended up with a wonderfully tasty chutney! Made up 4 containers & froze 3 of them for later use! This is definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]