Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Gotta love this twist on one of my all-time favorites. Better still it goes in the lovely crock pot! Adapted from Taste of Thai.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 lbs onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 20 ounces beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 8 -10 pieces French bread (stale or toasted)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over a medium high heat.
- Add onions and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions turn a deep brown (but not burned), about 20-25 minutes.
- Add Curry Paste and stir until dissolved into onions & is aromatic. Add 1 can beef broth. Mix until any browned bits on pot bottom are released.
- Add remaining can of beef broth, consommé, sherry and browning sauce. Stir and bring just to a boil. Pour into crock-pot. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. (Soup can be simmered on stove for 1-2 hours if not using crock pot).
- Serve in individual ovenproof bowls topped with bread rounds. Top bread with a generous portion of cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.