Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple & Delicious
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt & pepper
- chives (to garnish)
- In a large soup pot melt butter and sauté onions, ginger,& garlic until translucent.
- Mix in curry, cinnamon, bay& fresh thyme.
- Add carrots, stock, salt& pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame and allow to simmer until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Puree soup.
- Whisk in half& half cream.
- Garnish soup with fresh cut chives.
This is excellent! I made it exactly as written, and it was very, very good. As I was eating my first bowl, I began thinking about the cinnamon and ginger combination. "I wonder what it would be like if I added a tablespoon of honey to the pot?" WOW! I loved it even more! Then I wondered how a dollop of plain yogurt might taste as a garnish. Another winning idea! No doubt about it - this recipe is a keeper!
I didn't even add salt and for some reason this turned out really salty! i solved the problem by peeling and dicing a pear and then blending that it. Overall, I liked this soup quite a bit, and a bunch of vitamins is always a nice bonus!
This was really, really good. The combo of the curry and cinnamon is perfect and I have this issue about not being able to eat carrot soup w/out ginger in it...so again this was perfect. The house smelled divine while it bubbled away and like Kate, I left my carrots on to simmer longer than 15..more like 25. Served with a dollop of light sour cream on top with salad and biscuits. PERFECT fall dinner!