Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really tasty version of cream of broccoli. Eat your cruciferous!
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces broccoli, chopped coarse
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Cook onion, carrot, curry powder, mustard seeds and salt and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is soft; add broccoli, broth and water and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until broccoli is very tender.
- Puree soup in batches until smooth.
- Whisk in lemon juice and season to taste.
- Heat over low heat and whisk in sour cream and heavy cream (do not let boil).
Not the ordinary cream of broccoli soup! This has much more "spunk" to it. I made this with 16 oz of fresh broccoli, and 3 cups of chicken broth in place of 2 cups of broth and 1 cup of water. I used a fairly hot curry powder. Those mustard seeds added a nice flavor, too. This is a great soup for when you're bored of the "same old" cream of broccoli soup. The flavors will warm you up. Thanx for sharing this recipe!
Not as creamy as I expected.Kinda a bland. So I added more cream and spices like hot sauce, salt, pepper and garlic.