Literary Mom's Note:
I created this for the Ready Set Cook contest in 2003. Morsels of mock crab in a spicy creamy asparagus soup. Microwaving the vegetables is a time and nutrient saver, but you could also boil or steam them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- 8 ounces surimi or 8 ounces imitation crabmeat, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (or Smart Balance)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1Cook asparagus, onion, and potato (layered in that order) in a round covered casserole dish, with the chicken broth, in the microwave on high for 10 minutes (stirring 2-3 times).
- 2When vegetables are tender, remove half of the potatoes and set them aside (you can also set aside the asparagus tips if you like).
- 3Put the vegetables in a blender and puree until smooth (you may have to do it in two batches, depending on the size of your blender). Alternately, put them in a pot and use a hand blender.
- 4Put the puree in a pot on medium heat and whisk in 1 T flour. Stir until smooth and soup begins to boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low (simmering) and add the remaining potatoes to the pot.
- 6Stir in the butter, milk, garlic, curry, cayenne, black pepper, salt and Worcestershire, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 7Add the crab (and asparagus tips if you saved them) and simmer for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Cream of Asparagus Soup With Crab
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.7
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 966.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 16.6 g