Mrs Beeton wannabe's Note:
This fusion dish brings together the spiciness of a crab curry with the coolness of fried ricotta cubes, delicately laced with fresh coriander. It is a one pot curry whose taste belies the easy preparation and cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g firm ricotta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- flour, for dusting
- 125 ml oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon curry leaf, chopped (if available)
- 3 medium soft ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 125 ml fresh coriander, chopped (if available)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 crabs, cleaned and cracked (with shell)
- 125 ml water
- 1In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil.
- 2Dust ricotta in flour well.
- 3Fry in hot oil, watching carefully as they can stick together.
- 4When nicely browned, remove, drain and set aside.
- 5Lower heat.
- 6In the same pan saute onions until soft.
- 7Add cayenne, curry powder and leaves.
- 8Stir quickly to prevent burning, immediately add crab, salt, sugar and tomatoes.
- 9Stir well, coating crab well.
- 10Add water, cover and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes checking and stirring to re-coat crab occasionally.
- 11Add more water if necessary to prevent 'sticking'.
- 12When done, the tomatoes would have melted into a thick chutney coating the crab, which would have been heated throughout.
- 13Add ricotta cubes and coriander, stir lightly.
- 14Simmer for further five minutes, then serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Crab With Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.6
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.6 mg
- Sodium 1243.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: