Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Excellent appetizer, lots of taste. From Cooking Light.
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled ginger
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- parsley sprig (optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stir well.
- Heat a large nonstick frypan coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder mixture, ginger and garlic, cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon mixture into a large bowl, cool.
- Wipe frypan clean with a paper towel.
- Add 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, rind, crabmeat and egg to onion mixture, stir well.
- Divide crabmeat mixture into 24 equal portions, shaping each into 1/2 inch thick patty.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, dredge each crab cake in breadcrumbs.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter in pan over medium heat.
- Add 8 patties and cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove the crab cakes from pan, and keep warm.
- Repeat procedure with remaining butter and patties.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.
totally awesome!!! best crab cakes i ever had-- totally not your ordinary, run of the mill crab cakes but wonderfully spiced up! i didn't have the bell pepper and i used scallions instead of the onions and i added a lil more curry as well as turmeric, coriander, and cumin and powdered ginger instead of fresh and 5 garlic cloves! :-D AMAZING!!!!
I loved these crab cakes. The seasoning is perfect, different, and the crab cakes colorful. I made a half batch. Thanks for sharing the recipe!