Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Daniel Boulud recipe from Food & Wine.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons granny smith apples, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 4 slices watermelon, half inch thick, rind removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and dried
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the apple, onion, curry and saffron and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the water; let cool.
- Scrape the onion-curry mixture into a food processor. Add the mayonnaise and process until smooth. Transfer the curried mayonnaise to a medium bowl, add the cilantro and mint. Gently fold the crabmeat into the curried mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut each slice of watermelon into triangles and transfer to plates. Season the watermelon with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon lime juice. Mound the crab salad on top of the watermelon triangles.
- In another bowl, toss the arugula with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on top of the crabmeat and serve.