Recipe by COOKGIRl
From a local source. Perfect for all that leftover turkey from the Holidays. The recipe was cut in half and baked in an eight inch cast iron skillet. This recipe is open to many variations depending on what leftovers you have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped (I minced the carrots.)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery, with leaves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup turkey gravy
- 2 cups diced turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- turkey broth or low sodium chicken broth, if needed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and curry powder. Sauté, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened and the curry powder is very fragrant.
- Slowly add gravy, stirring until smooth. Stir in the turkey and peas.
- Check for seasoning and thin with broth or water if too thick. The turkey and vegetables should be moist, but not swimming in liquid.
- Stir the potatoes to loosen them, adding a bit of milk if they seem too stiff. Put the turkey mixture in a baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes have begun to brown.
- Variation: If you’re out of gravy, add a tablespoon of flour when the vegetables are almost cooked. Add 1 cup turkey or low-sodium chicken broth instead of gravy, whisking it in until smooth.
- (Optional) I garnished each serving with fresh cilantro.
- Yield is estimated.