Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my version of the Thai soup Tom Kha Gai. I didn't use the kaffir lime leaves, galangal root or lemongrass that you'll typically find in the regular recipe b/c those ingredients can be hard to find. I wanted a version I could easily make with what I had on-hand & came up with this! So don't expect this soup to be exactly like real Thai coconut chicken soup... the flavor is slightly different, but I think still delicious in it's own right! Let me know what you think :-)
- 1 skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (I had green curry paste on hand when I made this, but you could use any)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated (fresh is best, can also use dried)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped (I only use green part in this)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- Spray pan with cooking spray and add chicken.
- Once chicken begins to cook & turn white, add curry paste and stir to thinly coat chicken.
- Cook chicken 4-5 minutes or until almost cooked through.
- As chicken cooks, in separate sauce pan, begin to heat chicken broth. Bring to simmer.
- Add lime juice, ginger, fish sauce.
- Stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, mushrooms and coconut milk.
- Simmer another 2 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. May need more lime juice, depending on your taste. Some people also add 1/2-1 TBS sugar or splenda. It's up to you.
- Add cooked chicken and green onions, stir and simmer for 1 minute.