Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 -8 green onions, cut in 1 inch pieces,including 3 inches of green
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil.
- Add garlic and both types of onions; saute until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in curry powder and saut for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Great recipe, Dancer^. My husband and I both thought it was very tasty. I increased jalapeno to 1 t. and that was perfect for our tastes. Potatoes and chickpeas go well together and we are carb lovers so the comfort level was high. The curry, onion, and tomato flavors were well balanced. Thanks for another good one.
This is an absolute winner! The combination of potatoes, curry and chickpeas cannot be beaten, especially when you are in need of some guilt-free comfort food! I'd cook it with some additional chopped chilli, and serve it with some VERY lightly steamed spinach for a feast for body and soul...
yum! This was so simple to make, and the flavor was so rich and delicious, and very filling dish too! I normally hate tomato juice, and was pleasantly surprised by how good it could taste.