Recipe by Chef Ri
This is a wonderful way to serve garbanzo beans, AKA chickpeas. This dish has a rich tomato-cream sauce with a Caribbean flare. Serve with mildly flavored veggies. Fry very ripe plantains and add to you meal for a wonderful sweet and salty combo. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove by mixing the rice and curried chickpeas, or reheat in toaster oven or microwave. Special Notes: Use soymilk or coconut milk if you are unable to find coconut cream. Beware - "cream of coconut" is sweet, and should not be used in this dish.
Top Review by VeggieMomma
I made this because I had all the ingredients, and it is delicious! I used 2 cups of coconut cream, 1 cup canned tomatoes instead of the fresh, and added a handful of fresh basil at the end. It is rich and delicious. I am definitely adding it to my regular rotation, but might try it with lite coconut milk to reduce the fat content.
- 1 (13 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can coconut cream, half
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice per directions.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Saute onions over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes once onions are soft. Smash the tomatoes in the pot.
- Add the curry powder and stir.
- Add coconut cream/milk and stir. (add a little more if you desire more sauce)
- Salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add chickpeas, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot over rice.