Recipe by hannahactually
A simple, delicious vegetarian meal from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 cake tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups undrained cooked chickpeas (or one 16-oz. can)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions and garlic in oil until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the spices.
- Add the tofu and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Add the chickpeas and about 1/4 Celsius of their liquid and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until thoroughly heated. Add salt to taste.
- Serve topped with cilantro and/or yogurt, if you like, over rice.