Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another recipe from The Vegan Chef
Make and share this Curried Chickpea Spread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed,and drained
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- In a food processor, place the chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, curry powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt, and process until smooth.
- Add the cilantro and pulse a few times to combine.
- Transfer the curried chickpea spread to a bowl.
- Serve as a dip or spread for vegetables, crackers, pita crisps, or bread, or as a sandwich filling.
I have made this recipe many times over the past five years, but always as part of the Curried Chickpea Spread and Veggie Roll Ups recipe from The Vegan Chef (website is on-line). The (entire) recipe is great; I've only had one person, out of the many people I've served it to, not like it. The Veggie Roll Ups, or wraps, are so versatile for a group of people. The Veggie Roll Ups are great for those that are vegans or vegetarians and by adding some sliced roasted turkey or chicken to the Roll Ups, omnivores (like my husband and I) love them too. I highly recommend you try the Curried Chickpea Spread with the Veggie Roll Ups. And as other reviewers have mentioned, make up the spread the day before and chill it over night.
I add a little bit more water to make it more spreadable.
I loved this! Only change I made was to add just a touch more lemon juice and olive oil. I ate it right away on crackers and carrot sticks, if I'd had pita bread, I would have used it as a filling. I do think making this ahead of time and allowing the flavors to blend is preferable. I'm always on the lookout for flavorful meatless meals that my husband will enjoy and this fits the bill. Thanks, mermaidmagic!