A perfect hearty vegan sandwich that will become a classic.From The Simple Veganista.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cans -15 oz.)
- 2 -3 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 -5 scallions, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants or chopped dates)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or toasted)
- 1/2-2/3 cup thinned hummus (or tahini, vegan mayo would work too-see notes)
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt & cracked pepper
- cilantro, leafy (or micro greens )
- pita bread, to serve (or sliced bread of choice)
- 1In a small bowl, combine hummus with lemon juice, curry & garlic powder and a generous pinch of salt. Blend until combined. Set aside. (If adding vinegar or maple syrup as per the notes below, add to the hummus at this time.).
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash about 1/2 of the beans with the back of a sturdy fork or potato masher. Add in the carrots, scallions, raisins, cashews and hummus, mix well to combine. Taste for flavor adding salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- 3Serve as is, with sliced red bell peppers as scoopers, on a bed of leafy greens, with crackers or made into a sandwich with bread of choice.
- 4Serves 4-6.
- 6The dried fruit gives a nice sweetness and you could use up to 3/4 cup so each bite has a little sweetness to it. Feel free to add extra raisins, currants or dates.
- 7If your hummus is on the thick side, thin it out with water until desired thinness. Using a small bowl add a couple rounded tablespoons of hummus with 1 tablespoon of water. Adding more of each as you go until you have a thinner hummus. Do the same if using tahini. Feel free to use more for a super creamy salad. If your measuring by tablespoons -- 8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup and about 11 tablespoons = 2/3 cups (technically 10 T + 2t).
- 8You can try tweeking this recipe by adding a tablespoon or so of apple cider or white wine vinegar to the wet mixture. It will give it a slight tang. You may also like to try adding a tablespoon of pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of choice to add a little sweetness all around. Adjust curry, adding more or less, to suit your taste.
- 9Try replacing the carrots with diced red bell peppers for color variation.
- 11Layer the bottom slice with the curried chickpea salad, top with cilantro sprigs, or just the leaves, and greens of choice. Add top slice to sandwich, cut in half or eat as is.
- 13Try using this salad in a wrap too.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chickpea Salad(With Sandwich Option)
Serving Size: 1 (1173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.0
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 684.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 15.3 g