Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like Indian food, you'll love the wonderful blend of textures and spices in this easy casserole. From the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned cream-style corn
- 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.