Recipe by rpgaymer
I came up with this to use up some ingredients I had on hand. It's sort of like a dahl, but with chicken and a few other untraditional ingredients. Serve over rice, or just eat with naan or a piece of crusty bread.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I love dahl and dont make it that often, I have to say this was a real treat and I shall make a point of serving it up more regularly!! Smelled fabulous, tasted divine, my lucky husband still has some for lunch today!!!! Enjoyed trhe addition of egg as garnish! Overall, fabulous, thank you for another winner, rpgaymer!! made for PRMR tag game
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 serrano pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, serrano peppers, fennel seeds & cumin seeds. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, while stirring, until the seeds are slightly toasted and fragrant.
- Add the ginger, curry powder, turmeric, garam masala, black pepper & salt. Saute for just about a minute.
- Add the chicken to the pot and brown a bit, until no longer pink, for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in lentils, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and spinach. Bring to a boil, then lower heat & simmer while covered for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes or so, and add water if mixture gets a bit too dry.
- Once the lentils are cooked, the curry is done. Remove from heat, and stir in yogurt. When serving, top with parsley and eggs.