Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great curried chicken recipe from Trinidad recipe that I got from a book called "The Naparima Girls' Highschool Cookbook". It's easy to prepare and very flavorful.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced green seasoning (found in most West Indian grocery stores. If unable to find minced thyme and green onion should work)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Cut chicken into small pieces and season with garlic, green seasoning, salt and hot pepper.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat oil in an iron pot or skillet.
- Mix curry powder with 1/4 cup of water until smooth; add to hot oil and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir to coat in curry; cook until all water dries out; stir well (about 10 mins).
- Add tomatoes and onion; cook for a minute; stir in 1/2 cup hot water.
- Lower heat to medium; cover and cook until meat is tender; add more water if more sauce is necessary.
- Adjust salt and hot pepper.
Awesome! My mom is one of the girls on the book cover that helped write this book. Small world
A basic authentic Trinidad style of cooking curry chicken. If you can get the ingredients to make a true green seasoning makes a huge difference in my opinion but this is a great recipe!