Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Just the thing for a cold night.
Make and share this Curried Chicken Thighs With Dried Figs and Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed winter squash (kabocha, butternut, or other deep orange squash)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces dried calimyrna figs or 8 ounces black mission figs, stems trimmed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 whole clove
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle chicken with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or wide saucepan over medium heat; add in the olive oil.
- Add in the chicken, a few pieces at a time; cook about 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
- As the chicken browns, transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the skillet; stir/saute for 5-8 minutes or until golden.
- Add in the garlic and curry powder; stir for 1 minute.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet; scatter the squash, sweet potatoes, and figs over the chicken.
- Add in the tomatoes and clove.
- Lower heat to medium-low; cover and cook about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and simmer about 5 minutes or until the juices are slightly reduced.
- Taste and add salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve hot.