2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 45 mins
These saucy curried chicken thighs makes a great dish for a big easy family supper. There’s plenty of curry sauce, so serve with brown rice or whole-wheat egg noodles. The recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken thighs here, but bone-in thighs works too. From Eatingwell.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless trimmed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add half the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on both sides and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- 3Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add curry powder, ginger, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Add broth and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in peas, mayonnaise and lemon juice (or vinegar). Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- 4Wash and dry the pan. Melt butter in the pan over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in bread cubes. Toss to coat. Arrange the bread on top of the casserole.
- 5Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and the croutons are golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 6TIPS & NOTES:.
- 7Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month (defrost in the refrigerator for 2 days before baking). Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then bake at 400°F for about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken Thighs With Buttery Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.4
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 522.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: