Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
This recipe came from a friend who helped me complete my mission to find a curry that I like. On my last out of town visit to her, she even took me to her local grocery store to buy her favorite curry powder. It's a Madras blend by Sun Brand, very mild and not at all aggressively spiced. And what do you know? I now like curry. I only buy the boneless thighs when they are on sale. Bone-in thighs with the skin removed work equally as well. A little less water is needed using those but a bit more cooking time is needed.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground ginger
- 1 dash ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Cut chicken into 1-inch strips. I have kept bone-in thighs whole.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot.
- Cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with remaining ingredients except sour cream.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is done. (longer for bone-in thighs.
- Turn off heat. Stir in sour cream.