This recipe comes from Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop, WA. My husband, who used to hate curry, has become a convert. This soup base is smooth and delicious and the texture of the chicken, wild rice and celery crunch adds to the variety and it has been a hit at dinner parties. I've used the basic recipe as curry chicken over rice as well (reducing the amount of stock I use so it's enough for a sauce instead of a soup, and omitting the wild rice and adding a handful of currants). I also use this recipe as the curried chicken (not the soup) for potlucks with rave reviews. ** Addition: this recipe works great in the crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste (red chili paste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1Begin cooking rice as instructed on the bag.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine chicken stock, bay leaf, cream of coconut and pineapple juice.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Thicken the broth with a roux made of the butter and flour.
- 5To do this, in a separate pan, melt the butter with the flour until it bubbles and is foamy, then add to the broth and stir to thicken.
- 6Keep the broth on a low simmer to continue thickening while you prepare the chicken.
- 7Preheat a stock pot with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 8Add black pepper and chicken to the stock pot, cook until 3/4 done.
- 9Add onion to the chicken and cook until transparent.
- 10Mix together spices and add them to the chicken mixture.
- 11Stir, saute lightly and finish with the heavy cream.
- 12To combine the ingredients, add the stock to the chicken mixture.
- 13Add the celery (still raw and crunchy) and the cooked wild rice.
- 14Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 15When serving, top with toasted coconut or other ingredients as you choose.
- 16OR - Make this in the crock pot. To make it in the crock pot, put all ingredients except butter, flour, heavy cream and celery (and garnishes) in the crock pot. Don't cook the rice or the chicken - just dice the chicken and put it inches I used frozen stock and frozen chicken. Doesn't matter. Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for longer - as long as the rice is cooked, it's done. Then add chopped celery. Make roux and add to thicken. Add cream or milk, and you're done. Garnish as usual.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.3 mg
- Sodium 312.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sambal oelek chili paste