Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Unsweetened coconut milk stars in the sauce of this traditional Thai dish. It is available in large supermarkets and Asian food stores. If you are unable to find cans of unsweetened coconut milk, use 1-1/4 cups milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. From BHG.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 red dried anaheim chiles or 1 -3 california chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2-inch pieces or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- Remove stems and seeds from chili peppers. Place in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand about 15 minutes or until softened. Drain. Chop chili peppers. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for spice mixture, in a small bowl combine cilantro, lime peel, lemon grass or lemon peel, ginger, salt, nutmeg, cumin, and coriander. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onions; stir-fry about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add spice mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until no pink remains. Discard lemongrass, if used.
- Add coconut milk, bamboo shoots, sweet pepper, and the chili peppers. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. Stir in basil. If desired, arrange cucumber slices around the rim of a serving plate. Add meat mixture to plate. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice.