Punky Julster's Note:
Unsweetened coconut milk stars in the sauce of this traditional Thai dish. It is available in large supermarkets and Asian food stores. If you are unable to find cans of unsweetened coconut milk, use 1-1/4 cups milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. From BHG.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 red dried anaheim chiles or 1 -3 california chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2-inch pieces or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1Remove stems and seeds from chili peppers. Place in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand about 15 minutes or until softened. Drain. Chop chili peppers. Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, for spice mixture, in a small bowl combine cilantro, lime peel, lemon grass or lemon peel, ginger, salt, nutmeg, cumin, and coriander. Set aside.
- 3Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- 4Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onions; stir-fry about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add spice mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- 5Add chicken; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until no pink remains. Discard lemongrass, if used.
- 6Add coconut milk, bamboo shoots, sweet pepper, and the chili peppers. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. Stir in basil. If desired, arrange cucumber slices around the rim of a serving plate. Add meat mixture to plate. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken Siam
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.0
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 379.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried anaheim chiles