Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve hot over boiled plain rice.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cubed chicken
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups small tomatoes, peeled and chopped (8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) or 2 tablespoons parsley
- hot water, as needed
- In a heavy-based skillet, heat oil; add chicken and brown on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Sauté onions, garlic and gingerroot until the onions are golden-brown, stirring often. Add red pepper, turmeric, curry powder and bay leaf; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt; mix well. Add chicken; bring to a simmer, half covered, over low heat. Simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in cilantro. If sauce is too thick, add a little hot water.
- Serve hot.