Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Garam masala is an Indian spice mix that can include up to 12 different ingredients, such as cinnamon, clove, cardamom, cumin and fennel. This recipe uses the blend to give flaky biscuits a complex flavor and mild heat. The biscuits are then filled with a curried chicken salad that contains grapes, pistachios and cilantro. MAKE AHEAD: The biscuits can be stored overnight in an airtight container and the chicken salad can be refrigerated overnight. Add the grapes and pistachios shortly before serving. Created by bay area caterer, Carrie Dove. NOTES: To toast the pistachios, spread them in a pie plate and bake at 350° for 5 minutes. WINE: The warm days and cool, foggy nights of the Russian River Valley are a large part of what makes its Pinots so rich in flavor yet also so elegant. Russian Hill Estate's 2002 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir is a classic expression. It has a vibrant cherry flavor and firm structure, with a spiciness that complements this curried chicken salad. Or try Gary Farrell's intense, layered 2003 Starr Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir, from hillside vines east of the Russian River.
Garam Masala Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 lbs chicken breast halves, on the bone, with skin
- 1 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 cups red grapes, halved (about 14 ounces)
- 2 celery ribs, preferably from the heart, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted (see Note)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, whisk the 2 cups of flour with the sugar, garam masala, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the ‚ cup of buttermilk and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it 2 or 3 times. Roll or pat the dough into a 6-by-12-inch rectangle, about ‚-inch thick. Using a floured knife, cut the dough into 8 square biscuits. Brush the tops with buttermilk and transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. Bake for about 18 minutes, until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Fill a large pot with 3 quarts of water. Add the carrot, onion, peppercorns and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and simmer over moderate heat until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and refrigerate until cool enough to handle. Reserve the broth for another use.
- Discard all of the chicken skin. Remove the meat from the bones and cut it into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 1 cup of mayonnaise with the curry powder and lime juice. Stir in the chicken pieces, grapes, celery, cilantro and pistachios and season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken salad with the Garam Masala Biscuits on the side. Alternatively, split the biscuits in half and spread them lightly with mayonnaise. Mound the chicken salad on the bottom halves and close the sandwiches. Serve right away.