Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
In 'Panini' by Melanie Barnard
- 1⁄4 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup diced unpeeled granny smith apple
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices firm cornbread, 1/2 inch thick
- Add walnuts to a small, dry skillet over med-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted and fragrant, 5-7 minutes; watch carefully, as they can burn quickly.
- Transfer immediately to a cutting board to cool, then chop coarsely.
- In a bowl, stir together the mayo, mustard, lemon juice, and curry powder.
- Stir in the chicken, toasted walnuts, onion, raisins, celery, apple, and chopped mint.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let the chicken salad stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend (alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours; return to room temperature before assembling the panini).
- Preheat a sandwich grill; put the cornbread on the grill, close the top plate, and cook until golden and toasted, 2-3 minutes.
- Place 2 pieces of the toasted bread on each of 2 individual plates.
- Heat the chicken salad on the bread, dividing it evenly, and serve right away.