Recipe by EmilyStrikesAgain
My girlfriend modified this vegan chicken salad recipe from Robin Robertson's "Vegan Planet" by using tofu instead of tempeh. Can easily be made more accessible to non-vegans by using ordinary mayonnaise. I imagine this would be great with actual chicken in it as well in place of the tofu. We serve this in pita pockets.
Top Review by minithecat
I made this tonight. Actually I didn't expect to like it and was making it for someone else.. Much to my shock it was great and is now on our keeper list. I did modify it. I left out the golden raisins and slivered almonds because I dislike them in all mayo type salads. I did toss in small diced baby carrots. It was excellent without the almonds and raisins and excellent with the carrots. Used in sandwich and also in a salad bowl and it was 5 stars in both. Made with grilled tofu.
- 1 (15 ounce) package extra firm tofu, diced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced red bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (Veganaise works for us)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place diced tofu into a large bowl. Add the celery, scallions, bell pepper, raisins, almonds, and parsley. Stir in the mayonnaise, relish, curry powder, lemon juice, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve in a pita picket, or the bread or roll of your choice.