Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
About 30 years ago, I got this recipe from a pamphlet at a Visitor's Center just over the Mississippi River from Mississippi into Arkansas. It has been a summer mainstay ever since. The time required assumes you already have cooled cooked rice. Also, I go heavy on the pineapple and use a whole can rather than 1 cup.
- 1 cup raw rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced canned pineapple
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peach preserves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Combine cool rice (make sure it is really cool, otherwise you will end up with Curried Chicken Rice Mush!), chicken, pineapple, celery and green pepper in biggish bowl.
- Combine peach preserves, mayonnaise and curry powder. Stir into the chicken mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill for at least 2-3 hours. Serve topped with grated cheese, or not -- .
A wonderful easy to make salad. I made it before heading off to work in the morning so that the flavours could develop during the day. Was so nice to come home to a main that just had to be served and I also made a Greek Salad to go with it. A delightful summer salad that really hits the spot.
I made this for the Jan 2010 Aussie/Kiwi Swap. So delicious! So refreshing. I didn't include the green pepper (personal choice). But my DH wants me to make this frequently come summer! Yummy!
This was so good. I loved the flavor combo of the fruit with the curry. I used brown rice and light mayo. Will make again. Thanks for sharing.