Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy and a little different, Light recipe. I have used ready made pie crust, which worked just fine. Next time I think I may try it with ready made phyllo dough. Prep time is for Chicken filling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- cooking spray
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour, water, and vinegar in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk until well-blended to create a slurry. Set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour and salt in a large bowl, and cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add slurry to flour mixture, and toss with a fork until moist.
- Press the mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Chill 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add curry; cook 2 minutes.
- Add potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chicken; stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through black pepper); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cream cheese; cook 1 minute or until cream cheese is melted.
- Spoon the filling into a round 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Roll the crust into an 11-inch circle, and place over mixture.
- Cut 6 slits in top of the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Note: You can also make this in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. When you prepare the crust, press the dough into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle, and chill. Roll dough into an 11 x 7-inch rectangle and place over the filling.