Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Another yummy alternative to beef burgers for your grill! Cooking the curry powder with the onions for a brief time seems to mellow the flavor and bring out the sweetness of the onions. Originally from the magazine section of our local paper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup granny smith apple, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 toasted hamburger buns with sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil and chopped onion in a skillet over medium low heat; cook, stirring for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the curry and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove to a bowl and cool.
- Combine with all the remaining ingredients except the buns and carrot salad.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties, about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
- Prepare coals for grilling or preheat gas grill.
- Brush the grill with vegetable oil.
- Grill the burgers over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side, or till cooked through.
- Serve on toasted buns topped with 2 tablespoons of carrot salad (see my recipe) or garnish of your choice.