Recipe by Lubie
A healthy, quick-cooking meal that tastes great.
Top Review by Tellok
We enjoyed this very much. I actually used half chicken and half shrimp. I'll try this again in a few days and will use cracked pepper and thrown in a cardamon or two at step 13 and see if that works. Note that steps 4, 5 and 6 are one sentence. Thanks!
- 2 oranges
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on) or 1 lb chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, strings removed,cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- cinnamon basmati rice, with
- golden raisin
- 1 sprig fresh oregano (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a citrus zester or the small holes of a box grater, zest oranges.
- Squeeze juices of oranges into a small bowl.
- Set zest and juice aside.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the zest with the shrimp (or chicken), 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/4 tsp.
- salt, and 1/4 tsp.
- Toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook shrimp until bright pink, 2 minutes per side.
- (Or cook chicken pieces until juices run clear.) Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add onion, celery, dried oregano, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add orange and tomato juices; cook until liquid starts to thicken, aabout 8 minutes.
- Return shrimp (or chicken) to skillet and heat thoroughly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Add remaining orange zest; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over Cinnamon Basmati Rice with Golden Raisins and garnish with fresh oregano.