Recipe by Alma, Perth, Western Australia
I love savoury muffins. Here's an unusual one I got off a lifestyle programme called Burke's Backyard in Australia. Curried Chicken Muffins - makes 12 - tastes good in lunch boxes
Top Review by Chef floWer
I'm not a sweet tooth so I choose to make a few savoury muffins today. The only thing I changed was I put tandoori curry powder instead of paste and I used substitute egg replacer. The muffins taste was quite unusual but very yummy. Thank you Alma.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, thickly sliced
- 3 chicken thigh fillets, chopped (200 grams)
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (I use Vindaloo)
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 1⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, extra
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190 C (380F). Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with butter and oil.
- Make sure to grease the top of the tin well so any mix won't stick as they rise. Heat oil in a pan and cook the onion rings over a medium heat, stirring often.
- Cook but DON'T brown them, adding a splash of water helps (you want them to stay white looking for effect - so they say), takes 5-10 minutes.
- Put the onions aside. 3/4 will be used for presentation, chop the other 1/4.
- Heat the pan again and add a little bit of oil and the chicken.
- Stir until it begins to turn white and then add the curry paste. Cook slightly, adding a splash of water to speed up the process.
- Cook for a further minute then remove from the heat and stir in the yoghurt. Let it cool slightly.
- Sift flour into a large bowl from a good height to aerate it well.
- Add the chopped onions, lemon juice, eggs, vegetable oil, cooled curried chicken and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased muffin tin and push the onion rigs on top by gently pressing in.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Good picnic food.