Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A wonderful curry whose ingredient list looks scary but isn't, its mostly spices.
Make and share this Curried Chicken Moghlai recipe from Food.com.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 /tsp salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- one can tomatoes, 35 ounce italian, coarsely crushed with their liquid
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups broth
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Season the chicken breasts and coat lightly with flour. Melt 4 tbs of the butter in a large skillet. Add six breasts and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes a side. Transfer to large plate and repeat with next 6 breasts.
- Melt remaining 4 tbs butter in skillet. Add onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring until softened about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until slightly softened about 3 minutes. Add the ground cumin, cumin seeds, turmeric, caraway seeds and 1/4 tsp cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the chicken stock. Transfer to an enamaled casserole or dutch oven stew pot.
- Add the chicken to the casserole and bring to a simmer over moderately low heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in sourcream brown sugar, tomatoe pasted, crushed red paepper, saffron, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg. Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes. Uncover and cook stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thickened., about 45 minutes longer. The sauce will not be completely smooth.
- To FREEZE: Let cool completely, tyhen refrigerate until cold. Transfer to plastic containers covering the chicken pieces with sauce, press plastic wrap against the surface of the sauce then seal the conainers and freeze up to 1 month.
- To REHEAT from FROZEN: Let thaw in the fridge for 24 hours. Remove the plastic wrap and transfer to casserole pot. Cover and rewarm over low heat stirring.
Other than cutting the chicken into chunks as we prefer it that way, this is an excellent curry, dont be put off by the use of spices, most of them you will have in your pantry and it makes all the difference to make a curry properly, and not that much longer!!! We loved this, and its even better the next day! Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe, marramamba, made and enjoyed on a cold wet Saturday! Made for Consideration Tag Game
I have made this numerous times over the years. I vary it quite often, sometimes using boneless/skinless thighs, sometimes I add mushrooms, etc. But no matter how many times I make this I am amazed at the wonderful yummy curry flavor that gets better with each day's left overs. My husband is from India, and although this is not quite authentic, he enjoys it as much as I do. LOVE LOVE LOVE this curry.