Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
A light curry dressing binds this salad together
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 4 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jarquartered marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut into bite-sized pieces (reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reserved artichoke marinade
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- To make the dressing: whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the salad: in a medium bowl, combine all the salad ingredients; toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours to let the flavors blend.
- If the salad seems dry, add a little more dressing or mayonnaise before serving.
I wanted to use up some rice and was in the mood for curry. This salad was perfect. I only had green bell peppers, and had to use a combo of some sweet white onions and some chives instead of the green onions, but otherwise had everything else on hand. I especially liked the little zing from the marinating liquid added into the curry dressing. This is a great summer dinner salad.
I was looking for a salad that included rice, chicken and artichokes, as I had 1/2 a can of artichokes that I needed to use. This salad was absolutely the 'ticket'. Since I was making this with what I had on hand, I did make some minor adjustments. I used sour cream instead of yogurt in the dressing. And also added a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to this since I was using canned artichokes that were not martinated. The dressing was very creamy and tastey. I also added a handful of defrosted frozen peas. They were really good in the salad. I would like to try this with the marinated artichokes and plan to do this in the future. I added some chopped pecans to the salad on the second day, and this was a really good addition. The added crunch was nice. I plan to make this recipe again for guest in the upcoming summer months. Thanks for sharing....YUMMY!!!!