Recipe by Karen From Colorado
I don't remember where I got this delicious chicken recipe. I have it hand written on a piece of paper in the back of a cookbook. Another kid pleaser. Sweet with just a touch of spice.
Top Review by Sassy Sandra
No mistaking, the chicken was AWSOME, but the veggies were so-so. I think just putting them in the oven raw may have worked better. My children loved the addition of the apples. I will try this one again, and see if I can get it perfected!
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 (3 lb) chicken or 1 (5 lb) duck or 1 (5 lb) goose
- cooking oil or melted butter
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered or 8 new potatoes
- 6 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place washed chicken breast side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush skin with oil or melted butter.
- (if using duck, prick skin all over to allow fat to drain).
- Roast chicken, uncovered for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours (duck, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours- goose, 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours).
- In the meantime, cook potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water until nearly done.
- The last 20 minutes, drain the fat from the roasting pan of chicken.
- Arrange vegetables and the uncooked apples around the bird.
- Spoon honey mixture over chicken, vegetables and apples.
- Roast 20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer registers 185 degrees and vegetables and apples are tender.
- Baste occasionally with honey mixture during roasting and again before serving.