What a burst of flavors. I am not a fan of curry but I love this dish. Got this recipe off the net a long time ago but I am not sure where. Be sure to make the brown rice with the curry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- bottled chutney sauce (Major Greys is great)
- 1MAKE RICE: Place rice in fine strainer and rinse thoroughly.
- 2place rice in small saucepan, stir in water, apricots, and 1/3 of the salt.
- 3Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over very low heat until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- 4Keep warm.
- 5FOR CURRY: Season shrimp and chicken with remaining salt and pepper.
- 6Heat half of the oil in large saute pan over medium high heat.
- 7Add chicken and shrimp and cook until brown on all sides.
- 8Cook in batches to keep from overcrowding the pan.
- 9Remove from pan and reserve.
- 10Add remaining oil to pan.
- 11Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 12Add garlic and ginger, cook for 30 seconds.
- 13Stir in curry powder, cook 15 seconds.
- 14Stir in broth.
- 15Return chicken and shrimp to pan, simmer until broth begins to bubble, about 1 minute (if you use smaller shrimp than jumbo, you may need to return them to the pan further along in the simmering to keep the from overcooking).
- 16combine cornstarch and coconut milk in small bowl.
- 17Using a fork, whisk until mixture is smooth.
- 18Whisk coconut milk mixture into chicken.
- 19Return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 20Stir in cilantro.
- 21Serve curry over rice.
- 22Pass chutney sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Chicken and Shrimp with Apricot Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.8
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 1850.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 38.4 g