Recipe by BoxO'Wine
What a burst of flavors. I am not a fan of curry but I love this dish. Got this recipe off the net a long time ago but I am not sure where. Be sure to make the brown rice with the curry.
Top Review by sweetsouth
This was delicious! I did not have any coconut milk, so I mixed a little almond extract and sugar into a small can of evaporated milk..I'm pretty proud of myself for figuring that out! The recipe was still good without apricots in the rice. Instead of cilantro, I used chopped fresh parsley.
- 1 cup medium grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- bottled chutney sauce (Major Greys is great)
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE RICE: Place rice in fine strainer and rinse thoroughly.
- place rice in small saucepan, stir in water, apricots, and 1/3 of the salt.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over very low heat until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- FOR CURRY: Season shrimp and chicken with remaining salt and pepper.
- Heat half of the oil in large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and shrimp and cook until brown on all sides.
- Cook in batches to keep from overcrowding the pan.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add remaining oil to pan.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in curry powder, cook 15 seconds.
- Stir in broth.
- Return chicken and shrimp to pan, simmer until broth begins to bubble, about 1 minute (if you use smaller shrimp than jumbo, you may need to return them to the pan further along in the simmering to keep the from overcooking).
- combine cornstarch and coconut milk in small bowl.
- Using a fork, whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Whisk coconut milk mixture into chicken.
- Return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve curry over rice.
- Pass chutney sauce.